26 Jul 2018
Sydney DJ and vocalist Tori Levett makes electronic and trap music. In between her busy schedule of performing at clubs and making headline appearances, we caught up with her to get a little insight into the local superstar.
1. Do you have a nickname?
I kind of do, Toz. Even people I have meant once call me it. I think my name is just one of those names you can pop a z on the end and it sound alright.
2. How did you get into creating music?
My whole life I have played around on different instruments. When I was in high school, I used to make beats and little songs with lyrics on garage band and upload them onto a music page on Myspace. When I turned 18, I started DJing at local clubs and wanted to make a career out of it so started learning to produce on Ableton about 2 years ago and have now released my first song - with many more to come!
3. What’s the inspiration behind your first single?
I wanted my first single ‘Something Bad’ to be for myself and not take into any consideration on who is and who isn’t going to like it. I had a lot of people in the industry telling me what I should and shouldn’t be doing musically so I thought I would do the opposite and to create something that I really loved, instead of fitting into a mould.
4. What would you be doing if you weren’t in the music industry?
I honestly couldn’t even image my life not in the music industry. When I figured out that this is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, everything just made sense. So If I wasn’t in the music industry, I would probably just be travelling the world still trying to figure out what I want to do.
5. Who’s your biggest music inspiration?
My two biggest music inspirations would have to be Alison Wonderland and Halsey.
6. How do you prepare for a gig?
I’m always on the hunt for new tunes. I make a fresh playlist of songs for pretty much every show that I think will be suitable for the time I’m playing and venue. Then surround myself with amazing people and friends that support me so I am feeling 10/10 before my set.
7. Can you give us any hints on what you’re working on for your next track?
I have been working on so much new music that I am so excited to bring out. I still have plenty to learn, but I have of sense of direction now musically and I’ve just been experimenting with new sounds and beats and working on improving my vocals.
8. First live music gig you ever went to?
I actually think it was Marilyn Manson when I was about 16 with my mum and best friend at the time.
9. Best advice someone's ever given you?
Don’t listen to anyone that is trying to bring you down and literally just do what makes you happy. Advice I give myself everyday.
10. One thing you’d tell your younger self?
Who cares what people think.
11. Next place you want to travel to?
I’m off to Hawaii shortly. Just anywhere that is warmer then Sydney right now.
12. What’s your favourite festival experience?
It was at Splendour in the Grass 2016 sitting up on the hill at the main stage with a few of my best friends watching Outkast.
13. What's your number one party song?
At the moment, Drake - Nice for What
14. Do you have a party trick?
I don’t. I need to find one!
15. What’s the first thing you do when you wake up?
This is horrible to admit but the first thing I do is check my phone. Then generally listen to music and do some sort of exercise.
16. What’s one fact about yourself that would surprise your fans?
I hate cheese and I am really scared of the dark!
17. If you could have any super power what would it be and why?
Teleport for sure. So I can always be somewhere tropical and warm.